Tuesday, February 8, 2011

so, how do you waste your time?

ayyyy yiiii ayyyyyy....i hate the way i feel on the days that i have to work overnight.  as each minute passes, i use my abacus to count down how many more hours until i have to leave and go to work.  i don't like living that way.  it's a drag. but sometimes...work is a drag. (and by the way, i don't have an abacus, my fingers work just fine.)  8 hours, 15 minutes before i leave for work. when i leave, everyone is usually sleeping. it's not that i hate my job...well, sometimes i hate it.  i think more than hatred of the actual job, i hate the uncertainty.  with patient sitting, it's a grab bag.  for awhile i was sitting with sleeping, suicidal patients. it was torture trying to keep awake...but i'd rather do that over some of the other fun times i've had...
but it's just what i get! i call half hour before my shift starts, and get my room assignment and the floor.  on days that i work, i hate sitting around doing nothing. on days that i don't work, i hate even more sitting around doing nothing. so, how do i waste my time...watching reruns of The Office.  i hate to say it...facebooking. lately, playing Mario for the wii.  (but i did beat it so it's not as often...)

when i'm at work...i waste my time sitting there, staring at a sleeping patient (if the tv isn't on, which is another time waster...) sometimes, i do twiddle my thumbs. if the patients are awake and coherent, they look at me with bewilderment and ask, "you didn't bring even a book with you while you babysit me?"  i chuckle and say, "no, i'd fall asleep if i read in a warm, dimly lit room."  they laugh, roll over and fall asleep (if i'm lucky....)

perhaps one day i will think of jumping
more elegantly. maybe like this...

if i'm not, i warily stare at the nearest clock and use my abacus, i mean my fingers, to count down how many more hours are left on my 8.5 hour shift.  and then i recede deep into my mind and pray that nothing goes awry for the remaining time.  sometimes, it works out. other times...not so much. those are the days that instead of staring at the clock, i plan what my escape route would be.  sometimes, it involves me yelling for a nurse, or the nearest help. other times, my visions involve me diving out a window with the most perfect 10 dive ya ever did see.  most times, though, it involves me jumping out of the chair or stool im sitting in like dynamite lit my behind on fire, landing on the ground and running as fast as i can to my car ( i may even take the stairs with the amount of adrenaline pumping through my body at 4:30am and beat that friggen elevator), desperately hitting the unlock button, slamming the key into my car's ignition and gunning it out of that parking garage.  all with finesse, of course.  cuz it's not like i get to wear my pajamas or jeans...i gotta look nice.  so i wear my most comfortable dress shoes just in case a situation like that should arise.                                                                                                                                                                       (sometimes i feel like this...)

hmmm...how much time did i waste writing all of that down? enough, im sure.  but tonight, i shall do it again! every night, my routine gets cleaner and cleaner.  maybe tonight i won't have to count on my fingers. maybe i'll just know that when the clock is sitting (forever it seems) at 2:39am, there's only (hang on.......) 4 hours and 19 minutes left before i get to go home.  (yes...i did look up and to the left and count on my fingers) as if looking up and to the left helped me at all...maybe it made me look smarter, like i was actually thinking about it. 



i don't wanna waste my time, though.  i wanna make every second count.  so how do i do that???  it's something i am trying to figure out everyday...i think it may even be one of the ways i waste time at work whilst i sit and stare at a sleeping giant.  errr, i mean patient.  thank you for wasting your time with me and reading this blog.  Congratulations, you're in!  =)

1 comment:

  1. yes! erica i love you! you can waste your time writing me letters :) I also "Waste" time watching office reruns...at the gym lol. i love you!

    ReplyDelete