Wednesday, February 16, 2011

man's best friend is my best friend

i may be a little biased when it comes to the best dog award.  the Westminster Dog Show aired its Best in Show last night.  I'll be honest...it was hard to flip away to watch The Biggest Loser. spoiler alert...the Red Team had to send another member home.  Arthur lost a staggering 20 pounds in ONE week!!! Go Arthur! (I'm also a little partial to the Black Team).


when he wants me to play with him



Anyway...those dogs were soooo cute!!! I don't care if they walk pretty, dance pretty, or smile, they were cute.  and THAT'S why i wanted to watch...not to see the handler prance around in flats and pencil skirts. that's probably why i never made a career out of dog judging...how can you???  my dog surely would never win Best in Show...what with the crusties under his eyes, his bushy eyebrows and horrendous bark...but he's still cute. he follows me around the house like a shadow. he's the world's best "the mail's here!" dog.  if i fail to hear the mail truck delivering the mail to our house, he will come in and let me know.  it never fails.  he's so faithful.  notice i didn't say predictable.  i  mean...i know that if the mail comes and i don't know it, he will let me know. i know that if i drop something that's  not edible... (even to humans) on the floor, that i had better be faster than him.  i know that every time someone walks by outside, he will be on the arm of the couch using his "i'm gonna eat you if you don't hurry up and walk past this house" bark. i know that every time i walk through the door, i'm good for about 15 high jumps, a few kisses and a trip to the treat cupboard. i know all of those things.  and so does he. he answers to many names.  his given name, Stuart. (thank you mom).  he also answers to, "puppy!"  "brudder!" (that's brother with a 'd') and various other pet names.  he knows when i'm sad. after an exhausting workout, he comes and lays his head next to mine on the floor.  when we are the only ones in the house...he's sitting on my lap when im in the living room.  he's sitting at the threshold of my bedroom door if im on the computer.  he's laying on my bed.  he's seriously there all  the time.  he's the best high-fiver ya ever did see! he loves taking car rides...as long as they are short.  and as long as they are to Tim Horton's to get a snack.  he likes to eat the chocolate chip cookies.  also their bagels.  don't worry, dog-lovers, i don't give him the chocolate parts. 

He's 9.  and i love him! so much!!!

and before i forget...i must give a shout-out to my other favorite dog.  she lives in another state...on the other side of the country.  her name is Penny.  she's the best cuddler.  she's a golden...more like, copper. hence the name...Penny.  she's my aunt and uncle's dog.  it's crazy how well a dog can understand you.  here's a story.  one day, while doing some yard work, i stopped to sit on the ground.  i was listening to my mp3 player and a song came on (From Where You Are) by Lifehouse.  the song stopped me dead in my tracks because it reminded me of a friend that passed away after she was killed in a single car accident.  She had been on my mind that day a lot for some reason and when the song came on, i knew i just needed to sit down and listen to it play out.  (miss you Ashley J.)  Penny was running amok in the yard playing with her toys, completely enthralled by the taste of the dirt on her squeaky toy, endearingly named, baby.  she must have realized i was no longer around.  she came somberly over to me, put her head on my lap as if to say, "just pet me, it'll make you feel better."  So i did.  and when the song ended, before i moved to stand up, she picked her head up and walked away with a quick jaunt back over to her baby. 
Thank you for understanding me, Pen Pen! i miss you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment