Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First day of school...

I'm gonna be 25 in about 5 weeks. This will be the 6th year I don't start high school. And ya know what, it's on my list of what to thank God for. I remember the night before my first day as a freshman. I was up nearly all night...crying because I was so scared to start high school. I was scared I would get lost. Scared I would be late. Scared I was too dumb for high school classes. And most of all, I was scared I'd get made fun of. Most of those fears came true. My only saving grace was playing hockey. I dont know how I would've made it thru without hockey. I hated pep rallies. I hated gym class. I hated math. Especially because my teacher wouldn't help me. Yea...i went in early and stayed late. But she didnt help me. She would do the math problem and ask "does that make sense?" I would say no but I guess that meant yes on Tuesday's and Thursday's. I hated the guys. And I hated the girls. They were mean. When I blew out my knee, I got made fun of for having to use crutches. One kid even said, "oh my God, she doesnt even need those." the next day, i started using just one crutch. About 2 months before i was supposed to. 7 years later, my knee still keeps me from being completely free. Thanks, stupid kid. I shouldnt have listened to you. Oh! And I got my first job in high school! It was seasonal. But then it wasnt. I got let go cuz it was seasonal again. 2 days later, some pretty, skinny and blonde chick was there. She was new. Guess they had room after all. I kept my mouth shut and did my homework. As best I could. Thank God the even numbered problems were in the back of my math and chemistry books. I woulda been in high school this morning.
So. What did I learn in school? If you weren't rich and pretty and athletic and popular and smart, you weren't anybody. Even to the teachers. Some of them. what else did I learn? Hmm. Well I didn't learn this until after I graduated...I'm glad it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment