Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ironic?

Yes. It is. Having the job I have, I can never really and truly know what I'll be walking into. The 10 second phone conversation I have with the nurse before I get there really doesn't do me any good.
Tonight, when I called in to get my room assignment, the nurse said "Room 555. It's just a confused patient." I waited to scoff after i got off the phone. Pshh. JUST a confused patient??!! Clearly she has not been with the patients I have been with. Most times the confused ones are the most difficult to be with. They see things that aren't there. Talk to people that aren't there. Cuss, hit, punch, kick, spit....you name it. Then theyre sweet as pie. Oy.
So i tip-toe into the room. She's asleep. Yes! 10 minutes later...wide eyed. Oh great. She says, "Why are you here?" I answered calmly and respectfully that i was extra help for the nurses. That i was there to help her in any way and get what she needed. She was happy. I told her my name. She said, "Oh thats a really pretty name. You're a really pretty girl, Erica." I was caught off-guard. I said thank you and sat taller in my chair. She complimented me on my naturally curly hair. She needed help to the restroom so I walked over to her bed and told her to just grab onto me and pull herself up, that she wouldnt hurt me.
She reached up and grabbed onto my forearm. She said, "boy you're solid as a rock!" the best response I could come up with was "oh hea? Well I used to play hockey...well I still do just not as often."
She seemed impressed enough. As she walked she told me she really liked my shoes. I said thank you and that ended the barrage of compliments.

As I sunk back I to my chair I thought, "gosh on a day that I'm really not feling good about myself she sure defeated everything negative."
Seemingly in no time at all, I was reminded just who was sitting with...a confused patient! Of course! She's confused! She has no idea what she's saying. She didn't really mean those things She had no clue what she was saying!

...or did she?
Kind of ironic who and what God uses to remind us just how great His handiwork is.
His handiwork is pretty, and solid as a rock.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erica, she did know what she was saying! You are beautiful! I worked with "confused" patients in a nursing home for five years and I have countless stories of how God used them to say just the things I needed to hear and speak His words to my heart even in their confusion. Don't ever write them off, I am sure that God can speak through anyone He chooses! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete